Sunday, March 4, 2012

The very first embroidery project

I don't know how I really got the embroidery bug, but when it bit, it bit HARD.

I think maybe my interest began while I was reading the blog of the incredible Alicia Paulson. How can someone be so creative, well written and down to earth?

Anyway, I bought her book, Embroidery Companion, and taught myself a few easy stitches: backstitch, chain stitch and the ever elusive french knot.

My first project happened rather accidentally. I was home sick, after experiencing some medication-induced hysteria (It's a really long, painful story. Be glad I'm sparing you details), and I decided I wanted to make something. Keep in mind, I'm still not all there. So, I'm flipping through this book, and I see this glorious sight. 

A rooster. It's proud, it's commanding, Most importantly, it only requires the three stitches I know how to do! I was on a mission. I had to embroider that rooster. I went out in a foggy haze to the craft store to purchase the correct DMC floss colors, and something to embroider on this magnificent aviary beast. Canvas? Nah. I couldn't hang this rooster on my wall, it needed a special place, and it needed to have a function. Pillowcase? And drool on my beautiful creation? I think not. Then, there they were, as if divinely placed next to the hoops: the tea towels.

What the hell is the function of a tea towel anyway? At that moment, I didn't care. All I knew is that one of those lucky towels was going to get branded with my magnum opus of crafting:: this rooster.

I got into my crafting chair. It's a mid-century, aqua, plush chair with a wide bottom (heeeeeyyy) . It's perfect in every way. I threaded the needle and set to work on my masterpiece.

This is what came out of 3 hours of effort:


So...not bad, right? Ok, there are some major issues, the most noticeable being the poor fella's right foot, which was apparently run over by a semi, and then left flattened for eternity. Also, the tail feathers look a little nappy. Well, a lot nappy. 

But look how happy my tea towel rooster is!


Success. Now, what to do with a tea towel harboring a giant, embroidered, club foot rooster?



1 comment: