Friday, May 10, 2013

Geographic Coordinate Keychain


Well, this blog has suffered from a lack of updating. It's funny--I sew, knit and crochet all the time (and I even take pictures of most of my work!), yet there's some sort of disconnect from me actually writing some post about what I've made.

I made this keychain for my husband's birthday, which was back in February--Valentine's day, to be exact.

Yep, these pictures have been sitting around for 3 months. Awesome.

Anyway, I saw these lovely, rustic keychains on Etsy and I really wanted to make one for Hubs. The coordinates I chose were of the exact spot where we were married, in San Antonio, Texas. I like the idea of these keychains because they are so sentimental, though not overtly "mushy". 

 I had to teach myself how to stamp metal--not as easy as it looks, folks. I used a handful of online tutorials--this one is one I found quite helpful.

You need a lot of supplies (though most are fairly cheap--the stamping set was bought at Harbor Freight!), and a fair amount of practice to get a steady hand--all in all, it's not a project I'd recommend for people just getting in to crafting, and/or people who don't like the idea of failure. 

This was my third or fourth attempt at stamping, and as you can see, it's by no means perfect.

All said and done, I think he liked the present and currently uses the keychain for the keys to his 1967 Ford Truck (we affectionately call him "Smitty"), and I've got to say--the imagery fits!



No comments:

Post a Comment