Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Zig Zag Table Runner

Well, this post is only a year late. This time last year, I was spending my time recovering from grad school. I had the month of January to recuperate (it was not long enough), and during that time I took lots of naps (see: recuperate), long walks with my dogs and I taught myself to sew. 

You have seen other projects on here of my sewing adventures, but this is one of the more important projects I've done to date.

My best friend from college was getting married in Guatemala. I highlighted our trip in a few posts on my other blog

Anyway, I wanted to give her something truly special for her wedding. I wanted it to be handmade, and I didn't want it to look like trash. Therefore, I climbed the steep learning curve of sewing by picking a simple and elegant project to stack the deck in my favor.


I followed this tutorial: Zig Zag Charm Pack Table Runner
I love all of Missouri Quilt Co.'s tutorials. They're clear and concise, and you can pause and rewind the tutorial whenever you get stuck.

I didn't have a charm pack of the colors I wanted, so I just ended up cutting 5"x5" squares. The colors I chose were of the Guatemalan flag: a medium/light blue and white. 

(The "white" looks off-white so I could show you the patterns)

Piecing the runner together: 


After adding the batting and backing (I've learned to never buy backing/batting before you know the dimensions of the *actual* finished project...sigh), you assemble everything inside out, then flip over to quilt along the edges and stitch in the ditch. 

Piece of cake!

The finished product!

This was a great beginner project for me. I learned several new techniques, and became much more confident in using my machine. 

I loved seeing my friend's face light up when she saw the runner (I had hand stitched their names and wedding date on the back). Her face made this project easily worth the effort!

No comments:

Post a Comment